Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Back in the Saddle Again... with Blood Meridian

So its been a few months since I added anything to my regular blog. Still trying to get the tremendous amount of photos I took in Europe off my chest and into posterity on the Travel Journal (www.jasonharman.com). In the meantime I've been visiting and re-visiting this blog trying to come up with some idea of what to start posting with. I don't want to bore people with the usual details of my life if I can help it. Suffice it to say for now that I've moved to Toronto and am having a good time in the Social & Political Thought program at York University.

Back in the Spring I tried doing album reviews but I'm notoriously lazy and genuinely don't like reviewing/criticizing music in particular (entire genres or industries are fair game though). However, I would still like music to play a part in this blog, especially the discovery of new music which constitute some of the best moments of my day/week/month.

So what I plan to do is share with you in quick posts any song(s) I find and hopefully be able to post you a link to that song so any interested individual can post their feedback. I intend the music to be non-mainstream (I want to bring something that other people might not have already heard to the table).

I've been doing this on the side through emailing my favourite tunes spontaneously to three or four friends but this will save the space on gmail!


Blood Meridian - Get Someplace Else
from Kick Up The Dust (2006)

It wasn't until I checked their bio on newmusiccanada.com that the final piece fell into place. Prior to that, I had heard of Blood Meridian on and off via CBCRadio3 and the first time this song came on the air I wasn't paying any attention, in fact I was reading a book on Deleuze or maybe Hegel or Adorno for class. I went to mute it when I suddenly stopped to give it another listen. The voice seemed so reminiscent, a pained and haunting sound with lyrics, which I didn't follow but nonetheless seemed sad and anguished. A voice from the grave was stirring in this melancholy number which made me search it out (it turns out I had actually downloaded the album but had yet to give it a listen. Blood Meridian is friends with or perhaps even made-up of two other great indie Vancouver bands called Pink Mountaintops and Black Mountain which are already personal favourites).

I won't blow the moment of realization for any of you like I did for those poor few I emailed (probably the same poor few who read my blog :(). I will add though that the last piece of the puzzle was this:
we like sailing....and the meat puppets... and the
13th floor elevators.....and the stones....and
whiskeytown...and other stuff...

Their song is Get Someplace Else and is hosted here.
To read more about Blood Meridian their webpage is: http://www.bloodmeridianmusic.com/

Comments welcome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmm.. that song reminds of me REM.