Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Amy Millan "Top Ten Artists To Watch"

You might know Amy Millan from her day job singing and writing in dreamy indie-rock band Stars, or from her moonlighting gig in fellow Canadian collective Broken Social Scene, or perhaps from the nifty little profile we did on her in our special “Ten Artists To Watch” issue. But last month, Millan stepped out on her own, releasing a stripped-down, countrified album called Honey From the Tombs (which we reviewed in this very magazine and talked up on Rock Daily previously). Ms. Millan brought her show on the road and played Joe’s Pub in NYC last night.

Rolling Stone Rock and Roll Daily » Blog Archive » Why We Dig On Amy Millan: An Un-Edited IM Concert Review

Now that I'm back on the wagon, may as well mention that Amy Millan's Honey From The Tombs, one of my top 10 favourite albums from 2006, was mentioned in Rolling Stone. I kinda thought Amy would be flying under the radar for most mainstream mags so I'm happy that she not only got covered but spotlighted as one of the "Top Ten Artists To Watch".

I couldn't even pick one song as the best on her record as I rotate between 3/4 of them, but I'd recommend:
  • Losing You
  • Skinny Boy
  • Baby I
  • Headsfull
  • All The Miles
Amy Millan's website is: http://www.arts-crafts.ca/amymillan/
Two of the aforementioned songs are available to be streamed at: http://newmusiccanada.com/

2 comments:

James said...

http://islandphilosophy.blogspot.com

Joanna said...

Hmmm I'm not a giant fan of her music but damn if I can stop staring at her eyes. There's something about that picture. I'm hoping you will update soon so I can avoid seeing all together.

Shayne

P.S - I'm looking forward to a blog on a good Canadian artist like Shania Twain or Dead Leaf.