Dejeneur Sur L'HerbeLes Breastfeeders
March 20 - 26
I was introduced to Les Breastfeeders semi-formally through the CBC Radio3 podcast (highly recommended: visit here) and fully initiated on Saturday, March 11 at the Lamplighter Pub where the Quebecois sextet headlined.
The Breastfeeders introduced themselves as a french-speaking band with an English name and proceeded to play an exceptionally exuberant show with their retro-infused sixties/seventies-esque dance-pop melodies and lyrics (from what I could tell) heavily girded over with rock and punk guitar.
The "Les Breastfeeders" had two lead vocalists and a la the Arcade Fire have utilized the dramatic differences of having a female and male vocals to create a wider range of songs.
Lastly, the addition of a "beast" to the mix - see the shifty character on the far-left with the darkened eyes. The beast rolled, danced and hopped around the stage half-naked for the entire show - spewing forth clouds of water and playing himself with the tambourine. The encore issued forth with the full monty from the beast himself.
I highly recommend the album. I was concerned that the music wouldn't translate from a live show to listening alone but it does and the french barrier is hardly noticable. Of course, the album would make an excellent disc for a party. Its definitely worth investigating.
Hear a track from Dejeneur Sur L'Herbe at New Music Canada
****/5

1 comment:
My first visit to your blog. My friend from Montreal came out last April and gave me that cd. She is friends with the lead singer.Fuck I wish I had heard they were playing in March. I would have loved to see them live.
Post a Comment