Thursday, January 25, 2007

Get Back Get Back (to Ootischenia)

Its been over a month since I last posted a song on the blog and my guilt has actually kept me from making good on my commitment to spreading the good news of the lord, indie music. Part of the problem has also been that I scooped up a lot of good cheer over the holidays including 5 new albums (some of those which made my top 10 of 2006 had not been purchased and obviously earned the honour, including Matt Mays' excellent When the Angels Make Contact album as well as Pink Mountaintops Axis of Evol. Moreover, a free week or two of downloading from my favourite bittorrent site (the best way to listen to new music) has given me a whole new library of tunes to sort through and its been tough to find the one song that deserves a blog post out of the bevy of great picks and friends recommendations I've heard.

However, this post is about picking and not indecisive meanderings (save those for the philosophical posts) and the pick is The Be Good Tanyas's "Ootischenia". Besides the obvious qualities of the song, most notably lead singer Frazey Ford's drawl and the comforting old-timey rhythm, the lyrics tell a story about a small Doukhobor community in the interior of British Columbia. The song, which Ford describes as a reminiscence of life growing up in the town of Ootischenia (near Castlegar), feels like a warm embrace which I wanted to send out to all friends and family in the little town of Kelowna (OK not so little) no matter whether they've been scattered (to Ulsan, Vancouver, Toronto, etc.) or if they're still making life work in that odd little city-on-the-lake. So sit back, relax and drift away to The Be Good Tanyas' Ootischenia.

7 comments:

Olly Dolly said...

Dude,

You should totally check out:
T.Nile
Lullaby Baxter
The Wailin' Jennys

Jason Harman said...

I love the Jennys "Devil's Paintbrush Road". I listened to it obsessively and I think it made my top 10 songs of 2006: http://truthandart.blogspot.com/2007/01/miscellaneous-top-lists-of-2006.html

I'll check out the other two, I think I remember you mentioned Lullaby Baxter at least once before...

Thanks for the post!

Olly Dolly said...

Jason, you totally just added the Jennys.

Jason Harman said...

Not to mention I had a Blog dedicated to the song alone with a downloadable MP3 from back in OCTOBER!

http://truthandart.blogspot.com/2006/10/devils-paintbrush-road.html

Olly Dolly said...

Okay, okay, sorry.

Here's my review:
http://ubcophoenix.com/view.php?aid=38612

Anonymous said...

right... thanks for the nice remembrance of a band not nearly represented enough in my collections...

-j.

Joanna said...

"Little sad with everything around me.I hit the floor and my feet kept moving. I look forward and never backwards. I was out the door like a roman soldier."

This is with out a doubt my favorite song that you've posted so far. It's cracked my constant rotation playlist on winamp (yeah, I still use that).

Of course the songs made even cooler by the fact that it's about BC.

Good pick Harmando.

Cheers

Shayne