There are fundamental markers in one's life. The absence of a cool nickname could be said to be one. Now if I was cool the above title would read something like J-Dawg's Picxsz but we play the hand God dealt us... Whore (see I am a feminist).
Anyway, I don't have the discipline (read: disaprin) to post weekly about CDs and I especially have a hard time treating music and art in general analytically. It seems to strip the joy out of substance, much like academia strips the joy out of all learning and knowledge. So in lieu of "reviews" I'm going to post some recommendations, any of which I would be more than happy to endorse or defend if someone wants to email me about them. Consider anything that makes it to these pages as 4 star plus material. That alone should be enough to make you do the right thing and purchase the CD at your local indie music store.
Today's List will be a bit long as I'm going to go a bit far back in the indie catalogue here:
Immaculate Machine: Ones and Zeros
The Novaks: (self-titled)
The New Pornographers: Twin Cinema
Controller Controller: X-Amounts
Metric: Live It Out
The High Dials: War of the Wakening Phantoms
The Arcade Fire: Funeral
The Deadly Snakes: Porchella
Winter Sleep: (self-titled)
Broken Social Scene: (self-titled)
Cuff The Duke: (self-titled)
Les Breastfeeders: (see below)
Buck 65: (see below)
Great Aunt Ida: (see below)
Pink Mountaintops: Axis of Evol
Black Mountain: (self-titled)
The Organ: Grab That Gun
Bend Sinister: Through the Broken City
Neko Case: Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
Magneta Lane: Dancing With Daggers
Elliot Brood: Ambassador
Tegan & Sara: So Jealous
Feist: Let It Die
A.C. Newman: The Slow Wonder
On a side note, not indie but excellent is The Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Show Your Bones. Can't seem to escape news about these guys in magazines, etc. so I won't waste another word on them.
Thursday, April 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment